Help us to care for even more cats through your pay
What is Payroll Giving?
Payroll Giving, also known as give as you earn or workplace giving, is a scheme that makes it simple for employees to donate to their chosen charity directly out of their salary before tax is deducted. The Payroll Giving scheme is a great way to make regular donations to Cats Protection.
Once enrolled, you can make a regular donation of an amount you specify through your salary. The advantage of having your donation deducted before tax is taken, is that it costs you less to help us care for cats! Donations are deducted before tax and each £1 you give to Cats Protection will only cost you 80p.
Payroll Giving is an extremely beneficial source of revenue for Cats Protection, as it provides the charity with regular income. This is vital as it enables us to put plans in place for the future, helping us reach even more cats in need of care in the years to come.
How does Payroll Giving work?
To donate through your pay, simply fill out this form.
In order to donate this way, your employer will need to have a scheme in place. If you're not sure whether they do, simply fill out the form and we'll let you know if they don't.
If your company doesn't have a scheme in place, it's easy to set one up. All they need to do is choose their preferred payroll agent (an HMRC-approved agency that transfers all your donations to charity on behalf of the company each month).
If your employer would like more information about these benefits and how to implement a scheme, they can visit the Institute of Fundraising website.
Payroll Giving benefits for businesses
Having a scheme in place also brings multiple benefits for companies including:
- Financial - Payroll Giving is simple and quick to set-up. Additionally, your costs from setting up Payroll Giving are deductible since the scheme facilitates charitable donations.
- CSR - Enrolling in the scheme improves your Corporate Social Responsibility profile, which reflects well on your organisation amongst staff, business relations and potential clients.
- Staff satisfaction - Showing a commitment to charitable giving can have a positive effect on your employees. You'll be making it easier for staff to support the charitable causes that matter to them.
- Awards recognition - You'll also be eligible for government-endorsed National Payroll Giving Excellence Awards each year.
How is the donation taken?
Donations are deducted from your gross pay, which means they are taken before tax. This gives you immediate tax relief on your donations and means that it costs you less.
Unlike other ways of donating to charity, Payroll Giving is tax effective for you. The donation is taken from your pay or pension after your National Insurance, but before income tax is calculated and deducted. Your donation is calculated depending on your tax bracket and the amount of tax that is deducted is taken accordingly. For example;
|Your donation||20% tax payer||40% tax payer||45% tax payer||Charity receives|
- Easy to set up with little work for you
- Any cost to employers may be offset against Corporation Tax as tax deductible expenses
- Can also donate effectively with one-off donations
- Payroll Giving can work alongside a match funding programme
How does this differ from Gift Aid via direct debit?
Since Payroll Giving comes straight from your pre-tax pay, we don't need to claim tax back through Gift Aid. This helps to save on our admin. Additionally, Payroll Giving is the only way charities can receive all tax on donations if the employee is a higher threshold tax payer (40% or 45%). You can find more information on payroll giving on the government website here.
How your support helps
Over the last 12 months there has been a rise in the number of unwanted cats and kittens coming into our care. This increase has placed even greater demand on our resources and your support through Payroll Giving can make a huge difference to the cats that need us across the UK.
If you have any questions, please contact our Payroll Giving team via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your support.